Saturday, May 16, 2009

One month left; one year out

A month from now, Julie and I will be off on our big trip. Our plan is to ride out of Dodge on June 15, beginning our three-month trek to Alaska and our who-knows-how-long sojourn around this orb.

The trip's approach feels increasingly real. Yesterday, I moved out of my office at Hearth Connection, readying it for Kristine, its new occupant, and for Hearth Connection's newest staff person, Ben, to start on Monday. Here's the cluttered but cozy command central where I've spent my work weeks:



Ben and I will be spending lots o' quality time over the next two weeks, handing off the critical tasks and background information he'll be responsible for going forward, and introducing him to the great group of folks he'll be privileged to work with in his new role. We've blocked off every available minute through my last day, May 29, so lucky me that he's such an easy guy to spend time with!

Today also marks the one-year anniversary of my motorcycle crash in northern Minnesota. Reflecting back, I have one of those "the time has flown; it's been a really long year" perspectives on it all. Truthfully, I just feel so grateful for having so much support from my family and friends, such incredible medical care, such a successful recovery and most of all, such great fortune to be able to walk away from the accident. I've learned much from this past year: about myself; about accepting the love, support and care from loved ones and total strangers; and about my privileges, especially of having a safety net that I have not earned and that everyone should be entitled to have.

No doubt the year ahead has much to teach, as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment