Friday, April 18, 2008

Sharing our big plans

Here's an email I circulated this week to people with whom I work closely, letting the cat out of the bag about Julie and my plans for 2009. Of course, it makes the whole thing seem even more real and rapidly approaching. I count myself really lucky to have had the opportunities I've had over the last decade, to be preparing for another big adventure, and most of all, to be sharing it all with the woman I love.


Friends,

Love is an amazing thing. At the end of the year, I'll be leaving Hearth Connection after over 11 years. My sweetheart Julie and I will begin some travels in early 2009 and aren't sure when we'll be back to Minnesota.

Working with all of you to end homelessness is an amazing privilege. I've never met finer, more dedicated, more talented people. In particular, the stories and strength of those of us who have experienced homelessness have been a constant source of inspiration and motivation. While there are still far too many people who begin each day without a place to call home, it is also true that the landscape has changed much over the past decade. The political will, systemic changes, broader partnerships and growing momentum for proven, effective solutions promise to hasten the end to homelessness for those still locked in its grip, and to help our communities be the just, compassionate places they can and should be. Not only is ending homelessness achievable, it is more achievable now than ever before.

I'll be pulling 100% between now and my departure, getting some big projects off my plate and helping transition my responsibilities. I'm lucky to have such a great group of colleagues at Hearth Connection to work with and depend on. Jennifer Ho (our Executive Director), Kristine Davis (our Director of Programs), and I are working closely on in this transition to ensure quality and continuity in what you expect from us. Hearth Connection is as committed to being an effective ally and partner to you as ever.

I look forward to crossing paths with you over the next eight months, and in the future. Thanks for the opportunity to work hard, doing work that matters, with such a great group of people.

Eric

1 comment: